Today, in anticipation of the Jewish New Year, I’m sharing this fancy shmancy (not really) salad with an incredibly delicious dressing! I think it’s the pomegranate seeds that give this salad that ‘fancy’ feel… like little jewels. Both apples and pomegranates have symbolic significance during Rosh Hashana – so why not try feature them in this delectable and healthy salad?
The naturally sweet and savory combination of ingredients married together in this salad will make your taste buds smile. This salad is packed with nutrition rich ingredients bursting with flavour and irresistible textures. The best part is it all comes together in 15 minutes so that you can nourish your body and get back to cooking the rest of the dinner without any worries. For a well-rounded meal, I think it would even be great topped with some left over roast chicken.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 7 cups baby spinach leaves, washed
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 pink lady apples, washed, cored and sliced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ cup walnuts
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup xylitol
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: ground pepper
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach leaves, pomegranate seeds and walnuts. Toss to mix well.
- Just before serving top with the apple slices and avocado.
- Top with the dressing and enjoy!
Here are some ways to change it up:
- Mix your greens. Think butter lettuce, rocket and kale.
- Try pistachios or cashew nuts instead of walnuts. And if you are feeling naughty, why not try home-made candied almonds.
- If you are making fish for mains, consider topping the salad with some crumbled feta.
- If you’d like to stay away from the vinegar in the dressing, swap it out for lemon juice.
- Last but not least, consider some other toppings and ingredients: poppy seeds, chia seeds, beetroot and mint!
Trust me, all of the flavours and textures of the salad are out of this world! Once you take your first bite, you just get more enticed to devour the entire bowl. Best of all, it is loaded with dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants. What a healthy way to start off the New Year!?
Wishing all of my Jewish readers, patients and friends a healthy and prosperous New Year!