Rich and warm spices make this Moroccan roast chicken dish an instant favourite. The savoury spices and the sweet flavour from the oranges makes it an absolutely heartwarming Friday night family dinner. Easy and quick – try it out yourself!
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper + ½ teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 orange, unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 1 bulb garlic, unpeeled and cut in half horizontally
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 400-450g sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- Spray n Cook
- Combine the spices in a small bowl.
- Rub 1 teaspoon of oil over the whole chicken and season well with the spices, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken (breast side up) in a roasting dish, along with the orange wedges, garlic and onion. Using a wooden spoon smash the oranges, garlic and onion slightly. Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180 degrees. After 15 minutes, turn the chicken and roast the other side for 15 minutes. Turn again and roast for 30 minutes, then turn once more and roast for a further 20 minutes. Add the potatoes during the last period of cooking time. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1cm thick slices. Spray with cooking spray and spread on a baking tray. Roast the sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes, turning once, until cooked through.
- Plate up.
Don’t forget to add your favourite green vegetable to accompany the chicken and sweet potatoes. I chose to add steamed green beans.
Delicious and nutritious! ENJOY!